The Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group has years of experience guiding women and mothers through the complexities of the legal system. We are here to listen to your story, your goals moving forward, and then counsel you about your legal options. Our attorneys will advocate for you in matters such as:
As most people are unfamiliar with the legalities surrounding divorce, our lawyers can help you create and execute a plan to effectively manage the difficulties that come with ending a marriage. Some of these difficulties are transitioning to one income, potentially sharing parental responsibilities and dividing property accumulated during your marriage. We will take the time to listen to your concerns and guide you through every aspect of your case.
- Divorce – We represent women (and men too) in both uncontested and contested divorce cases, while recognizing that any divorce scenario can be extremely sensitive and difficult for our clients. Our first priority is to answer your questions, carefully explain the law to you as it relates to your unique situation, and to formulate a plan of action to best advance your interests and protect your rights. For more information about dissolving a marriage in Illinois, please see our divorce page.
- Custody & Visitation – Unless a parent is abusive or neglectful, family courts generally believe that it is in a child’s best interests to maintain a relationship with both parents. However, when deciding with whom a child will primarily live, courts will often favor the person who has been the child’s primary caregiver. In many cases, this is the child’s mother, even when both parents work outside the home. For more information about the factors courts consider when allocating parenting time, please see our custody and visitation page.
- Child Support – The amount of child support you are entitled to receive (or obligated to pay) will depend on the noncustodial parents’s (the parent that is not the primary residential parent) net income and how many children he or she is responsible for supporting. A court may also consider other factors such as whether the child has any special needs (any disabilities, etc.), the independent resources and needs of the child and custodial parent and maintaining the child’s current standard of living. For more information, please see our child support page.
- Modifying and Enforcing Divorce & Custody Agreements – All to often, people experience much of the same behavior from their ex-spouse post-divorce as they experienced during the marriage. Even years after a marriage has ended, a former spouse may not be cooperating or may be trying to manipulate the terms of the agreement. Also, other life events may occur that affect the terms of a divorce or custody agreement. For example, one parent may relocate making the current visitation agreement impossible. When circumstances change (or need to change), we help clients seek post-judgment modifications to address their needs. Our family lawyers also help clients enforce court orders for custody and support. See our page on modifying and enforcing divorce and custody agreements for more information about handling post-divorce issues.
- Prenuptial Agreements & Pre-Divorce Planning – Entering into a prenuptial agreement is a smart decision for many couples intending to marry. Remember, people don’t expect to need life insurance, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea! This type of agreement can significantly simplify and save substantial costs in the event the couple divorces down the road. Prenuptial agreements, can provide for how marital property is to be distributed in the event of divorce or separation, protect assets, or protect income and inheritance plans for loved ones. Please see our prenuptial agreements and pre-divorce planning page for more information.
- Pre-Divorce Planning – We also provide a unique service in Illinois which we call Pre-Divorce Planning. The purpose of pre-divorce planning is to help clients anticipate what will occur if a divorce happens and what steps can be taken to insulate themselves and protect their interests. Please contact us directly for more information about this.
- Other Family Law Services
- Our firm is credited with filing Illinois’ first ever civil-union divorce, (e.g. Same Sex Divorce), and continues to provide quality legal services to nontraditional and alternative families.
- Some of our attorneys also have extensive business and corporate law experience, which is critical in divorces that involve a business owned by one or both spouses. This experience enables us to help if a divorcing couple has a business or business interests in common. For more information about these topics, please see our other family law services page.
Contact the Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group in Chicago, Illinois
If you are facing divorce, the Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group is here to help you navigate the road ahead. To schedule a consultation, please contact us here or call us at [ln::phone] to schedule a free initial consultation at our offices in Chicago, Lake Forest or Lisle. We will take the time to understand your unique situation, and offer advice and options tailored to your needs and those of your family.