Woodridge Child Support Attorney

Woodridge Child Support Attorney

Woodridge Child Support Attorney

dad and son on computer searching for a divorce lawyer evanstonIf you have children, a child support order will most likely be part of your divorce settlement. Child support is the money paid from one parent to the other to help with the expenses of raising a child. In 2017, Illinois adopted new guidelines for establishing child support orders. Previously, the noncustodial parent paid a percentage of his or her net income to the other parent as child support. Today, both parents’ incomes are considered when determining an appropriate child support amount.

What Child Support Covers in Illinois

Child support can be used to cover any expense related to raising a child. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Utility and grocery bills;
  • Housing costs;
  • School supplies for the child;
  • Extracurricular activities and their supplies; and
  • Healthcare for the child.

How Child Support is Determined in Illinois

In Illinois, child support is determined using the income shares doctrine. With this method, the percentage that each parent contributes to the family’s total net income is determined, then applied to the average amount a couple in their income bracket spends on their children each month to determine how much financial support each parent is expected to provide. The amount of parenting time each parent has is worked into this calculation in certain cases.

In most cases, child support ends on a child’s 18th birthday. If the child will still be in high school when he or she turns 18, a parent can request that support continue until he or she graduates or until he or she turns 19.

Modifying a Child Support Order

When an existing child support order no longer fits a family’s needs, the parents can modify it. Unless there is an urgent need to alter the order, an order typically can only be modified if it has been in place for three years or longer.

If parents agree to a modification, they can submit their new child support order to the court and if it meets Illinois’ state standards, the court overrides their current order with the new one. If one parent seeks a change and the other does not agree to the change, the parent seeking the change must petition to the court to have the order modified. In this petition, he or she must demonstrate one of the following:

  • A substantial change to his or her financial circumstances, such as a job loss, that necessitates the modification;
  • At least a 20 percent difference between the current order and a new order with an updated application of the state’s guidelines; or
  • A need to pay for a child’s healthcare expenses, whether through health insurance or another source.

If you have children, a child support order will likely be a part of your divorce settlement. Start educating yourself about child support in Illinois today by scheduling your free legal consultation with an experienced family attorney at Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group today. Our team can answer any questions you have and guide you through this and other aspects of the divorce process.

MeetOur Team Of Attorneys



schedule an appointment with one of our caring Attorneys


Please do not send an email or any communications containing confidential or sensitive information if you have not already retained our firm to represent you. Sending an email does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please accept these terms below.