Top Chicago Child Custody Lawyers
Child custody issues often arise out of an Illinois divorce case, but they can also come up in the context of a paternity matter. Regardless of the circumstances, your choice of a lawyer to protect your interests and the parent-child relationship is critical. At Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group, our attorneys focus on all aspects of family law, including child custody cases. We know these matters can be difficult for parents, so we are dedicated to guiding you through court proceedings and other issues. Please contact our office to schedule a consultation today. You can also review some of the relevant factors to consider when choosing a top child custody attorney in Chicago.
- Extensive Experience: Child custody law is not an area that an attorney can learn overnight. There are subtleties and nuances that are not contained within the relevant statutes, but which allow you to gain an advantage as a parent. Your lawyer must have spent considerable time representing clients in all aspects of child custody cases, both in court hearings and negotiations regarding custody issues.
- Knowledge of Illinois Child Custody Laws: The relevant statutes on child custody and court procedural rules are detailed. The critical consideration in a child custody matter is the child’s best interests, so it is essential that your attorney have in-depth, meticulous knowledge about what factors are considered in this “best interest” standard. Plus, your lawyer needs to understand Illinois law on the allocation of parental responsibilities, important decision making, and parenting time, all which are involved in a child custody case.
- Local Service Area: In addition to knowing the relevant Illinois laws, a local child custody attorney may be the best choice for practical reasons. You need access to your lawyer, and one that is nearby will be available for personal attention. When you do need to meet with your attorney, you do not want to have to take time off work or drive several hours. In addition, local lawyers often have established relationships with judges and staff, which is a logistical benefit when your case is in front of those judges
- Compassion: Child custody issues are intensely emotional. The right attorney for you will be a legal professional who understands the high stakes. Your lawyer should keep your objectives in mind at all times and work with you to achieve your goals. If you do not get a certain level of comfort in dealing with an attorney, you may need to continue your search.
- Budget: Your funds are not unlimited, so your budget is an important factor in a child custody case. Be forthcoming about what you can afford and ask plenty of questions about how far that money will go. In addition, make sure you understand how your attorney handles billing. Get the details regarding hourly rates, especially if a different fee applies to time in court. You should also find out about what court or administrative expenses will be charged to you.
Discuss Your Case with a Top Child Custody Attorney in Chicago
For more information on our legal services in the area of child custody, please contact Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group. We can set up a consultation to discuss any of these issues and answer any questions you have about your case.