How to Choose a Divorce Attorney
So you’ve decided to end your marriage but you’re not sure what to do next. It seems like there are just too many tough aspects to consider and too many hard decisions to make. How do I make sure I get a fair settlement? What happens if my ex won’t agree with the terms? How much do I need to still live comfortably? Will my ex pay enough child support? What should I do about the house and the car, and everything else? These are all common and pertinent questions that must be answered. That’s why having the help of an experienced divorce attorney is so helpful, but how do you know how to choose the right one?
Not all divorce
attorneys in the Chicago are equal. You need to make sure that you choose a competent and experienced attorney who has the knowledge to help you through all of these matters. These decisions are too important to leave to just anyone. So here are some important things to consider when you choose a divorce attorney.
- Focus area of practice – many attorneys focus on all kinds of law, but choosing an attorney who only focuses on divorce and other family law issues can be a much smarter choice
- Experience – of course, like most professions, experience matters when it comes to choosing the right divorce lawyer.
- Personality – it’s also important to find the right attorney to fit your personality. Even if an attorney is capable of handling your case, he or she might not fit what you’re looking for.
- Time and attention – you want your lawyer to be able to take the time necessary to answer your questions and help resolve your concerns.
- Understanding - It’s very helpful to have a divorce lawyer that can explain difficult subjects and give you answers in a way you can understand.
- Plan of action – you can feel confident if your divorce attorney offers a sound plan of action that you can understand and follow.
- Location – not only is the location of your attorney important, but also even more important is whether or not he or she has regularly practiced at the court where your case will be heard.
As for choosing your divorce lawyer don’t forget to include these important steps when making your decision.
- Make sure your attorney is focused on the task at hand
- Understand what you are looking for before starting process
- Speak with more than one attorney before you make a choice
- Get referrals from family and friends
- Ask a lot of questions
As you can see, there are many things to consider when you choose a divorce attorney. Make sure you do your homework and find the right divorce attorney
for you. At the Women’s Divorce & Family Group we have many years of experience helping people go through divorce, and we can help you, too. We are confident that we are the right firm to represent you. Give us a call at 312-585-6604, or click here
to contact us online.
There are many factors to consider when contemplating divorce, and a pre-divorce planning session can help you begin to plan for a divorce. Please contact the professionals at the Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group by calling (312) 585-6604 or clicking here to schedule a consultation.