Do I Really Need a Lawyer for Divorce?
It seems that just about everywhere you turn you see some sort of advertisement for lawyers who specialize in divorce and other matters of family law. Why so many ads? The reason is simple, really. It’s because just about half of all marriages end in divorce. Divorce is almost always difficult, but how you choose to handle your divorce procedure will go a long way in how the process plays out. Many people in Chicago wonder if divorce lawyers are even necessary. Some people feel like they can take care of the situation themselves. Others even think they can just use their soon to be ex’s attorney, so why bother getting their own?
However, there are several challenges to keep in mind when you are considering divorce and many of these challenges might make you think twice about going through it alone. In fact, there are several reasons why you should hire an experienced divorce attorney
. Let’s take a look at some of those reasons:
- Sound advice – divorce attorneys know and understand divorce laws and how they work. Plus, they understand how those laws apply in your situation and they can help make sure that you get the settlement to which you are entitled. In short, without a lawyer of your own, you will not know your rights!
- Timely process – divorce can take a long time and without the help of a divorce lawyer things can take even longer. For example, a lawyer can ensure that all the proper paperwork is filled out in a timely manner with the court, and thus, help avoid delays and other legal hassles.
- Mistakes can be critical – even if you’re sure you have everything down, the fact is the divorce process can take a lot of twists and turns. That means you will most likely run into some unexpected issues, which could cause you to make mistakes. An experienced divorce attorney will know how to handle these issues properly, while on the other hand you might not be able to on your own.
- Less stress – of course, divorce is stressful on everyone involved. By having an attorney working for you it can help reduce that stress because you can focus on other important things in life while your divorce lawyer takes care of the divorce process for you.
- Legal agreement – without using a lawyer, you leave yourself vulnerable to mistakes, to your spouse changing his or her mind, and/or your spouse taking advantage of your in court. With the help of an attorney you can be sure that your settlement is presented to the court the way you intended. Plus, by having a judge issue a court ruling, your settlement becomes legally binding.
As you can see, there are clearly many solid reasons to hire a divorce
lawyer if you are considering ending your marriage. If you need help with divorce in Chicago, then please contact the Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group today. Click here
to get in touch with us online or call us at 312-585-6604.
There are many factors to consider when contemplating divorce, and a pre-divorce planning session can help you begin to plan for a divorce. Please contact the professionals at the Women’s Divorce & Family Law Group by calling (312) 585-6604 or clicking here to schedule a consultation.